The home appliance industry has made numerous strides in the past three decades to improve its environmental impacts. Centricity has joined efforts with the home appliance industry in its sustainability efforts, recognizing the importance of environmental care and social well-being.
Sustainability is the ability to exist and develop without depleting natural resources for the future. The United Nations defined sustainable development as meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Sustainability assumes resources are finite and should be carefully conserved to ensure enough for future generations.
The Wharton School of Business recently conducted a Sustainability in Retail study that surveyed consumers and executives to answer critical sustainability questions.
Here are some of the key findings of the report:
- 64% of Americans say they are willing to pay more for eco-friendly products.
- Gen Z is influencing all other generations to prioritize sustainability in their purchasing decisions.
- Sustainable packaging continues to be important across all ages.
- 77% of men and 67% of women say they make purchases based on personal, social, and environmental values.
The Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers (AHAM) commissioned an Economic Impact Study recently to measure economic contributions and key sustainability initiatives driving energy efficiency, reducing emissions, diverting waste from landfills, and reducing food waste.
Energy efficiency improvement is a pillar in home appliance design with improved energy and water efficiency that meets consumer desires for sustainable products. Here are some interesting facts that emerged from the AHAM study:
- A modern refrigerator uses half the energy it did three decades ago and uses less energy than a 60–watt incandescent light bulb.
- Efficient new clothes washers can save a household more than 5,000 gallons of water and more than $150 in annual utility costs compared to a 10-year-old washer.
- New clothes washers can hold 40% more laundry than 20 years ago, and they are nearly 90% more energy efficient.
- Appliance packaging consists primarily of materials that are easily recyclable.
Centricity is proud of its efforts to repair electronics and appliances to keep them running longer and increase the sustainability of these household products. Our product protection allows consumers to easily schedule repairs they otherwise might not be able to afford.
Centricity partners with retailers and manufacturers to provide customized product protection solutions which drive revenue and result in loyal, happy customers. If you want to learn more about product protection plans and bespoke implementation and training for your team, contact us today.
Remember to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to stay informed on Centricity.